Skip to main content

Crappy Day Cure

Today I've just been in one of "those" moods. It's not hormonal. It's not situational. It's just what it is. Just about everything set me off: traffic, stupid questions, my re-arranged porch furniture. My mind has been racing since 10 this morning, desperately searching for something to fix my itch. I covered all the bases: a long run, kickboxing, devouring some ice cream, painting, writing, sitting in the sun, kicking the wall. Nothing really struck me as suitable. I even tried a reliable method: trying on shoes. Ah, no relief.

I found a delightful cure: trying on silly hats. I spent about 20 minutes just trying on every single hat in the store. They were red and purple and black and white. Some had bows; others feathers. My favorite made me think of a New England beach...it's what I imagine I would wear on one. Another favorite made me feel like I stepped out of a 1927 photo of a flapper. It was so much fun, and meant to be. For once, my hair wasn't in a ponytail out in public. I wish I had taken a picture, but I don't think that was meant to be. This was MY moment for my crappy day, and the images are meant to be stored in my soul.

The motto for today is that sometimes you just need to be silly. So now I am off to change into pajamas at 4 in the afternoon, curl up on my couch with my journal and some cider and watch a really silly, slightly offensive movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...