Skip to main content

The Gift Goes On...

I had a lovely lunch today...in my room...with my best girlfriend...getting some last minute work done...with nothing to eat because I forgot to bring a lunch. It wasn't all that bad because I had just inhaled some Fig Newtons a few hours earlier. So we spent our thirty minutes swapping stories of what crappy moods we were both in yesterday and venting about the injustices of being thirty-ish and either unmarried or childless. (Ironically...or not so ironically...they are evoke similar emotions.)

I hate feeling this way--edgy and irritable. A look...a mishap...a dog drooling on my leg...dropping a washcloth coming out of the dryer...not finding anything decent on t.v....can send me into a tailspin from which I swear I can never recover. The truth is that when my petunias die because I failed to water them, I really want to cry. But I feel silly crying over dead petunias, so instead, I stomp around the house, madly scrub the tub, and say "what?" when I answer the telephone. (My therapist will be thrilled to know that I made this connection.)

And the mood (like the gift) goes on. I keep hoping that eventually I will learn to catch myself before the full-blown slam to the bottom. One day. In the meanwhile, I've issued myself a challenge. I am on a mission to find the bliss in my life...one day at a time. I hope that by changing my focus, I will more in tune with myself and not so grumpy half the time. So here goes...

~ fried sweet plantains for dinner ~ an exuberant greeting from my dogs when I came home to pick up my computer cord ~ a friend who doesn't feel slighted when I flip through papers while listening to her ~ a one-hour Monopoly game with some 6th graders this evening ~ getting paid to play the aforementioned game ~ the smile on a student's face when she announced that she wasn't the last one in class today ~ free credit reports ~ my husband doing all the laundry in the house today ~ laughing with my students about how I tackled my deaf dog yesterday in the neighbor's front yard ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...