Skip to main content

Why I Won't Vote for Hillary

I wish I could vote for Hillary. I would love to see a woman in the Oval Office. I even like Hillary. In spite of all her faults and misguided words and deeds, I admire her tenacity. The woman is made of steel, and I wouldn't mind soaking up some of her self-discipline.


That said, my sticking point this election is also one of the major issue on the campaign trail: health care. I'm just a tad bit tired of all the hub-bub about our "broken" health care system in this country. I'm even more weary about all the whining and crying about people without health insurance. Worse yet, I'm terrified at the prospect of the federal government running my health care program. Aside from the Postal Service, I have yet to see a federal government program that runs efficiently and effectively.

I just read through the American Health Choices Plan. I don't have the time or energy to get into all the details at the moment. This plan is inviting on the surface, but I have several questions and concerns. (Um, how are we going to afford to cover everyone without paying more in taxes?) And I just love documents that say very little with a whole lot of words.

Ronald Reagan said in his inaugural address, "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem." This is a no brainer. Do you really think it's possible for the federal government to implement a plan that will work for everyone? Of course not, so what we will end up with at best is a mediocre health care system designed to work for no one. The sad part is the sheer number of people who will jump at the mediocrity just because it's there. Or because it will make them feel better about themselves to pay taxes for a program that should help others.

There is no doubt that our current system is flawed and collapsing under the weight of malpractice lawsuits, insurance company profits, and consumer abuse. But is more government really the answer? Is a one-size-fits-all mentality really going to improve our health and the quality of our medical care? Has it ever? It scares me to think that we're going to have forced down our throats something that won't work and will cost us a fortune in taxes.


What we really need is a system that empowers its consumers to make decisions that are best for themselves. I don't want to be locked into a plan that will force me to give birth at a hospital where my chance of complications to the baby and Cesarean are considerably higher than for a home birth. I'd rather be able to choose preventative care through a chiropractor and Natropath doctor instead of a traditional medical doctor trained to treat disease instead of maintain health.

Please stop assuming I am a mindless drone who thinks that breasts make one more capable of running this country. Give me something I can believe in. Give me something that will actually empower the great people in this country to continue following their dreams. After all, that's what made this country what it is today and why so many people still want to be here. I'm throwing off the polls and predictions. This 30-year old, professional, registered Independent woman will *not* be casting a vote for a woman this year.

This is Alli B., and I approved this message. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...