Skip to main content

Beautiful

I should be posting pictures of my recent trip to Siesta Key with Christy.

But I don't have them.

I should be showing off the pictures of canoeing down Rainbow River.

But I don't have them.

I may be finally accepting things as they come. And then again, maybe I'm still reeling in the stew of my irrational fears that brought me to the brink of a breakdown last week.

But life is good, and I like knowing that I can say that right now, especially since I had one of those days that could have easily run amok!

I woke up this morning thinking that I was going to a training this week. Once I drove the 45 miles to the training site, I found out that I didn't have to go. I was certainly angry about the waste of time, but I also very quickly realized that I had a very real answer to my recent prayers: time.

So I stopped by the gym on my way home, mowed most of the property, snuck in a nap, and managed to clean out a closet. I need this time to go through my home and remove the clutter that has clogged my soul. I need this time to slow down and reflect for what may be a difficult weekend.

I also had a delightful phone conversation tonight...one of many that I've had recently. I hung up with a smile on my face that had nothing to do with the slight beer buzz I had going on.

I've accepted the gifts given to me this week: conversation, laughter, time, a new understanding of myself, and the promise of some fun outings. I promise that I will share more very, very soon. And those pictures are coming.

Life is beautiful.

Comments

Christy said…
Beautiful. I think taking life as it comes to you and finding the small gifts it brings is one of the hardest things for us to do. And, um, our Artist's Retreat Weekend? Is there a weekend in July that works for you?
frabjouspoet said…
The first and second weekends are probably the best. I cannot wait!!!
Christy said…
Hm, hm, hm. I haven't your email here at work, so I'll leave comments, k?
First = 4th of July weekend (family plans).
Second = appointments on that Saturday.

Counter Offer: Last weekend of June OR I will see about rearranging our appointments on the 11th. Emma was beside herself when I told her what we were planning :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...