Skip to main content

Stranger Obligations

I had to make a few difficult decisions this week. At least, they were difficult for me. I wish I could be the kind of person who completely makes decisions based on his/her own needs and wants and boldly moves through life with unabashed freedom from how our choices affect others.

But I'm not built like that.

I had placed an ad for my former stray. I felt like it was time to find her a more permanent home because so much in my life right now is uncertain. One person answered the ad, but she did not seem like a good fit, and I gave up further thought.

This week I received another response. As long as this person is telling the truth, it's an ideal situation for the dog. Yet, I had a strange feeling and could not sort out whether or not it was my intuition kicking in or that fact that I actually like the dog and don't want to see her go. In the end, I decided that it was in my own (and my Winnipeg's) best interest for her to stay with us through the summer. (I seriously cannot live with the thought that my Winnipeg would be "losing" me and her buddy.)

I decided to wait.

However, it's not that simple for me. I agonized over how to tell this person that I could not give her away right now. In my mind, I was going to disappoint this stranger. I worried about how he might react to the news and whether this was my only chance at finding her a suitable home. The what ifs chased me through the night and day, tormenting me with their fantasies. I didn't care that I would have to a make a very long drive to a house at the end of a very desolate dirt road. I didn't worry about whether or not this person was telling the truth. I had no concern about the fact that in less than 4 days I will be boarding a plane and still have a fence to repair, a house to clean, dog-keeping instructions to write, and all the wonderful items still waiting on my to-do list.

Why is it that I feel this strange obligation to others? Deep down, I really want to do the "right" thing and be straightforward in my intentions. I don't set out to hurt others, and I struggle with the potential of doing so. Yes, I know that life is full of disappointments, but I don't want to be the cause of them.

I have no answer to this, but I hope to find one at some point.

In the end, I composed a quick email apologizing and explaining that I cannot part with her now. We can look at it again at the end of the summer when I can be more focused.

Comments

Christy said…
If you find the answer, please share it with me. This obligation...I struggle with it daily.
frabjouspoet said…
I'm relieved to know I'm not alone in this. I know where it comes from, but can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that sometimes it's okay to say that something doesn't work for me.
You are DEFINITELY not alone in this. Sometimes I even find that my "stranger obligation" overrides my true obligations to those that love me. It's a puzzle, it's a conundrum, it's a problem.

I also have no idea how to fix it. My first thought is... practice? Maybe the more we practice saying no when it doesn't work for us, the easier it will become?
Christy said…
Becks - YES! I very often put my obligations to "others" ahead of my family's needs. Happens all the time and no matter how much it bothers me, it still happens!
frabjouspoet said…
That's my point. I would gladly do things for others that I would not do for my own family. How does that happen?

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...