Skip to main content

The North is to South Like the Clock is to Time

I spent some time this afternoon searching for music to use in one of my classes tomorrow. We need to have a discussion about how writers use diction and metaphor, and music with cerebral lyrics is perfect for this time of conversation. As I went through the list of songs that used to be on the iPod that followed me to Peru and Spain and more morning runs than I care to count, I stopped at "I Am Mine."

The north is to south like the clock is to time.
There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life.

I've always loved this particular lyric, but until today, I never took time to think about what it says. If north and south are opposite directions, what does this say about the relationship between clocks and time.

This is such an interesting concept to me. As an American, I grew up in a culture that believes time is money. I have frequently lamented to others that I'd rather have money stolen than time because time is the only commodity I can never recover. All this time, I've seen this view as showing the utmost respect for time.

At this point in my life, I see time as a dichotomy. Of course, there's the moment. This moment. The one in which my fingers are bouncing across my keyboard as my eyes are fighting to stay open. This is it it--the moment that I can never get back.

Yet, this isn't the moment that I find myself pining over. Instead, my mind wanders to the moment when I will finally crawl into bed tonight...the moment tomorrow when I will do a final review of a book I edited for a company in California...the moment two weeks from now when my love will be here for the holiday.

When I claim to value time more than anything else in the world, I'm not sure I mean it. If I really valued time, I don't think I'd see it as marks on a clock or dates on a calendar. Those moments are just potential time, and they will only matter if God sees fit to let me keep breathing until they arrive.

Real time is going on right now. It's the text messages I'm reading as I write this and worry about whether I'm being rude to you or him. It's the hours I spend staring at the ceiling of the bed with my darling's legs wrapped around me, alternating between feelings of complete safety or utter insecurity. It's the conversations with my loved ones that go on until they become obscene.

Real time is scary. My plans aren't successes or failures yet, but I cannot really escape what's going on right in front of me. Like, I'm well aware that my jeans are too small, but it's so much more pleasant to imagine that I'll actually go run tomorrow than it is to look in the mirror and see where I am. Right now isn't scripted, and I may say the wrong thing.

But..I'm ready again for raw.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...