Skip to main content

A Little Bit of Ridiculousness

The elevator door opened to a simply furnished lobby, and a kind man greeted us. I explained that we had a 4 p.m. appointment, to which he replied that the appointment was for 3. As soon as I could, I checked my phone to see the text message I sent immediately after making the appointment. It was for 4. I knew it was for 4 because there was no way we could have made it there in time for a 3:00 appointment.

This was an interesting experience for me because I didn't feel the need to prove I was right. I didn't berate myself or question myself. I know the time of the appointment I set. End of story. Unfortunately, this isn't always easy to do when someone presents information different from what you know to be true, In fact, sometimes it's really difficult.

There is a term in the therapy world called gaslighting. Named for a movie in which a husband keeps a gas light burning all night yet tells his wife that it's not on. He essentially convinces her that she's crazy. I never knew there were people in the world who actually did this until a few years ago when I saw a student miming smoking a joint with a piece of rolled up paper. I quietly asked him to put the paper away and stop. His response was that he didn't do anything. He even argued that he did not have the piece of paper in his hand--that he was still holding!

I've dealt with more than my fair share of gaslighting in the form of "that's not what that meant" and "you did ___." Just today, I received a lovely text message: "You didn't cook anything yesterday, so I didn't eat anything." (In case you're wondering, that inaction was the cause of a slew of problems leading up to the point I was yelled at.) Other text gems include, "You sit there on your phone all night, and I can only imagine who you're talking to" or "You're so dramatic" or "No one else reacts like that."

For the record, I did, in fact, cook two full meals yesterday. He did not eat either one. I then cooked again at midnight. He did not eat. I also do not generally have my phone with me when I am at home. Ask my friends and family. Only two people in my life have ever called me dramatic. I'm generally the cool girl, Finally, very few women openly tolerate being called whore or ignore a man who is openly having inappropriate conversations with other women. Trust me, I've seen the messages from the other women when they find out he's a liar.

I'm getting better at dealing with this technique, but I still make a phone call every now and then to double check my perspective. As a side note, if you have someone in your life dealing with a difficult person, sometimes all they need is a reminder that the behavior is not normal. Gaslighting is insidious because you really do question your own reality, and it gets worse over time.

The lesson for me that day with the appointment was that I know what I know. I don't have to argue about it. I don't have to explain myself. It's enough to know. That day, I explained to man that I thought it was 4, and that's why we showed up when we did. In these other situations, well. Some days it takes considerable effort to remind myself that something like vulgar name calling is disrespectful or that I really don't have my phone in my hand (although someone else around here is never without one).

And if I call you for a reality check, just remind me that this behavior isn't normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

Busy Days Ahead

It's been a busy week for me. I left my house at 4:30 Monday morning for my drive down south and pulled back in my driveway at 1:20 this morning. The days have been long, too, between working at the new school from 7:30 until 3:00 or 4:00 and then working at the new place until 9:00 or 10:00 each night. I now have callouses on my fingers and not one intact finger nail. I think I've also developed a new twitch somewhere on my face. One afternoon this week, I stood in the middle of our new living room and took in the sight of missing drywall, a growing hole in the floor and soaked up my husband's predictions that we still won't be ready to paint by the weekend. All I wanted to do was cry. All I felt was nothingness. Numbness. Anyone who has ever reached the point of numbness knows that it's scarier than feeling like you're falling apart. It's one step beyond feeling like you're falling apart. I couldn't help but wonder just what we had gotten ourselves

Stranger Obligations

I had to make a few difficult decisions this week. At least, they were difficult for me. I wish I could be the kind of person who completely makes decisions based on his/her own needs and wants and boldly moves through life with unabashed freedom from how our choices affect others. But I'm not built like that. I had placed an ad for my former stray. I felt like it was time to find her a more permanent home because so much in my life right now is uncertain. One person answered the ad, but she did not seem like a good fit, and I gave up further thought. This week I received another response. As long as this person is telling the truth, it's an ideal situation for the dog. Yet, I had a strange feeling and could not sort out whether or not it was my intuition kicking in or that fact that I actually like the dog and don't want to see her go. In the end, I decided that it was in my own (and my Winnipeg's) best interest for her to stay with us through the summer. (I seri