Skip to main content

A Little Bit of Ridiculousness

The elevator door opened to a simply furnished lobby, and a kind man greeted us. I explained that we had a 4 p.m. appointment, to which he replied that the appointment was for 3. As soon as I could, I checked my phone to see the text message I sent immediately after making the appointment. It was for 4. I knew it was for 4 because there was no way we could have made it there in time for a 3:00 appointment.

This was an interesting experience for me because I didn't feel the need to prove I was right. I didn't berate myself or question myself. I know the time of the appointment I set. End of story. Unfortunately, this isn't always easy to do when someone presents information different from what you know to be true, In fact, sometimes it's really difficult.

There is a term in the therapy world called gaslighting. Named for a movie in which a husband keeps a gas light burning all night yet tells his wife that it's not on. He essentially convinces her that she's crazy. I never knew there were people in the world who actually did this until a few years ago when I saw a student miming smoking a joint with a piece of rolled up paper. I quietly asked him to put the paper away and stop. His response was that he didn't do anything. He even argued that he did not have the piece of paper in his hand--that he was still holding!

I've dealt with more than my fair share of gaslighting in the form of "that's not what that meant" and "you did ___." Just today, I received a lovely text message: "You didn't cook anything yesterday, so I didn't eat anything." (In case you're wondering, that inaction was the cause of a slew of problems leading up to the point I was yelled at.) Other text gems include, "You sit there on your phone all night, and I can only imagine who you're talking to" or "You're so dramatic" or "No one else reacts like that."

For the record, I did, in fact, cook two full meals yesterday. He did not eat either one. I then cooked again at midnight. He did not eat. I also do not generally have my phone with me when I am at home. Ask my friends and family. Only two people in my life have ever called me dramatic. I'm generally the cool girl, Finally, very few women openly tolerate being called whore or ignore a man who is openly having inappropriate conversations with other women. Trust me, I've seen the messages from the other women when they find out he's a liar.

I'm getting better at dealing with this technique, but I still make a phone call every now and then to double check my perspective. As a side note, if you have someone in your life dealing with a difficult person, sometimes all they need is a reminder that the behavior is not normal. Gaslighting is insidious because you really do question your own reality, and it gets worse over time.

The lesson for me that day with the appointment was that I know what I know. I don't have to argue about it. I don't have to explain myself. It's enough to know. That day, I explained to man that I thought it was 4, and that's why we showed up when we did. In these other situations, well. Some days it takes considerable effort to remind myself that something like vulgar name calling is disrespectful or that I really don't have my phone in my hand (although someone else around here is never without one).

And if I call you for a reality check, just remind me that this behavior isn't normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...