Skip to main content

Catching Up

There's a huge part of me that wants to post a screenshot of my Blogger dashboard just to prove to you that I haven't entirely forgotten my blog. No, really. I've had my fair share of ideas to write about, including what I think are rather insightful pieces about empowering women, mental illness and body issues. I've started them and failed to finish them, usually because I fall asleep mid-post.

I fall asleep a lot these days. On the couch. In the rocking chair. Face down on my computer's keyboard. It's a combination of a solid three to four hours of sleep each night, working ten to twelve hour days and a thyroid condition that's wreaking havoc on my body.

But anyway. I've recently decided that I need to spend SOME time doing things I enjoy, and I do enjoy writing about my life and how I see the world. That's why I'm taking a break from writing an enchanting piece about kitchen islands to post a quick update in the hope that we can pick up again like the last three years of silence didn't happen.

So here you have the top five topics running through my head:

1. Paying off debt.
2. Getting healthy.
3. Establishing better habits.
4. Getting my house in order.
5. Training my rescue dogs.

Throw in there a few thoughts about empowering women, finding happiness, letting go of big dreams and searching for new ones, and you have my life right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...