Skip to main content

Do you swear to tell the truth...

Alan and I went out this afternoon to do a little shoe shopping. He desperately needed new shoes, and I couldn't wait to introduce him to my favorite shoe accessory--overpriced inserts!

Sports Authority had a huge clearance sale on shoes, and we were greeted by four tables of shoes for the bargain price of $29.97. He immediately grabbed three pairs, tried them on, and in less than ten minutes selected a pair. As a comparison, it takes me more than ten minutes to decide which pairs to try on.

After we picked up some inserts, we paused briefly to look at some shoes on the wall. One of the employees asked if we needed help, and we assured him we didn't. (After all, we had everything we came in to get.) As we turned to walk toward the register he stopped us and told us that he was required to put some stickers on our merchandise or he would get in trouble.

Neither of one us fell off the turnip truck yesterday, and we both agreed that the stickers must be just a way for him to get credit for the sale. That he had NOTHING to do with. I said that I would take them off just for spite. Alan, of course, didn't really care either way, but I noticed that the stickers were missing as he placed the shoes on the counter.

The cashier rang everything up without a hitch. Then she checked everything and asked if anyone helped us. We knew immediately that their employee totally lied to us about those stickers.

I smiled as we walked out the door and told Alan how proud I was of him for removing the stickers. We both agreed that it would be entirely different if that guy asked if he could get credit for the sale. But lie to us about it? There's no way we're helping out with that one.

Comments

Christy said…
Awesome. I adore your sense of justice! And I am so super-proud of both of you!

Popular posts from this blog

Busy Days Ahead

It's been a busy week for me. I left my house at 4:30 Monday morning for my drive down south and pulled back in my driveway at 1:20 this morning. The days have been long, too, between working at the new school from 7:30 until 3:00 or 4:00 and then working at the new place until 9:00 or 10:00 each night. I now have callouses on my fingers and not one intact finger nail. I think I've also developed a new twitch somewhere on my face. One afternoon this week, I stood in the middle of our new living room and took in the sight of missing drywall, a growing hole in the floor and soaked up my husband's predictions that we still won't be ready to paint by the weekend. All I wanted to do was cry. All I felt was nothingness. Numbness. Anyone who has ever reached the point of numbness knows that it's scarier than feeling like you're falling apart. It's one step beyond feeling like you're falling apart. I couldn't help but wonder just what we had gotten ourselves

Stranger Obligations

I had to make a few difficult decisions this week. At least, they were difficult for me. I wish I could be the kind of person who completely makes decisions based on his/her own needs and wants and boldly moves through life with unabashed freedom from how our choices affect others. But I'm not built like that. I had placed an ad for my former stray. I felt like it was time to find her a more permanent home because so much in my life right now is uncertain. One person answered the ad, but she did not seem like a good fit, and I gave up further thought. This week I received another response. As long as this person is telling the truth, it's an ideal situation for the dog. Yet, I had a strange feeling and could not sort out whether or not it was my intuition kicking in or that fact that I actually like the dog and don't want to see her go. In the end, I decided that it was in my own (and my Winnipeg's) best interest for her to stay with us through the summer. (I seri

The Carnival

It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon here in southwest Florida, although still a bit too warm for my November tastes. I'm learning to enjoy my weekends with as much unstructured and unscheduled time as possible. Last Saturday was a delightful unstructured day. A new friend of mine (the one from the Everglades excursion) and I went to a local carnival. Now, here's the thing...I LOVE carnivals. The food. The people. The rides. The lights. I can easily spend an entire day wandering through the crowds. He's no carnival slouch. The first thing we did was walk through the entire place, scoping out the rides. Then the fun began. We rode almost every ride there (except for the kiddie attractions and the broken Tornado). The Wild Claw. The Scrambler. The Orbiter. The Space Oddysey. The Swings. The Pharaoh's Fury. The Ferris Wheel. The Giant Slide. The Haunted House. The Avalanche. It was all good. How can you top a ride that uses centrifugal force to plaster your body against