Skip to main content

Some of My Favorite Memories of Peru

Now that I'm officially home and feeling the exhaustion of the last two weeks seep out of my veins and into the corners of my eyes, I'm thinking about my trip to Peru. Peru is a phenomenal place, and the people there are wonderful. It's hard to put the experience into just a few words, but I figured I would try with a top ten list. So here goes (in no particular order)...

10. The look on the receptionist's face when I told him I had been eating the menu el dia while in Peru (and not knowing what I ate for lunch one day).

9. Discovering that I can carry on a conversation in Spanish (with a few "no se como decir in espanol...un momento, por favor" requests thrown in) and being told that I speak Spanish like a Spaniard.

8. Writing on the balcony of my hotel room with a view of the Andes and the Urubama River as accompaniment.

7. Sitting on the steps of the Lima Cathedral and watching World Cup games with the Peruvians in the Plaza Mayor in Centro Lima.

6. Walking down (and up) the side of the mountain to get to the beach.

5. Meeting the very first person ever who has also heard of (and listens to) Lori Meyers.

4. Being approached by an American in the Plaza d'Armas in Cusco and being asked in broken Spanish to take a photo for him and his friends.

3. Listening to the Brazil/Chile game on a radio with the workers at Machu Picchu.

2. Beer and conversation with my new Peruvian friend, Mariela.

1. Watching the sun set over the Andes from Machu Picchu.

Comments

Christy said…
#8 is probably my favorite one. I can't wait for the stories and experiences you've had to really sink in and become part of what flows out of you. It's going to be great.
frabjouspoet said…
I'm actually very much in love with the short story (called "The Train to Machu Picchu") I wrote that day, and I cannot wait to see the way it turns out. Hopefully, I'll find some time in the next few days to work on it. (Homework--both the home and school time are a bit consuming at the moment.)

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...