Skip to main content

Stalking a Pirate



Prepared we were not
to cross Captain Jack's path
late in the summer of ten,

with the sun bearing down
as we wandered the town
where the Koreshans once lived.

But he nodded. We smiled
and went on our way,
rolling it all in our heads.

We giggled and talked
and suddenly stopped
to turn back and run after him.

You see love for a pirate and sailing the seas
rest deep in a gypsy girl's soul,

where she dreams of the day he will take her away
to find a new place in the world.

So we followed his swagger
as he wound through the woods
and stopped to take in the sights.

You know when chance comes to call
you must answer with all
because sometimes she doesn't seek twice.

There we tracked Captain Jack
on the seashell lined path
and dreamed of the life that he lived

With his swashbuckling ways
that man made our day
late in the summer of ten.

You know love for a pirate and an adventurer's life
lie deep in a gypsy girl's soul,

where she dreams of the world she has yet to explore
and all of the secrets it holds.

(c) 2010

Comments

Christy said…
PERFECT!!!! I am smiling ear-to-ear right now!
frabjouspoet said…
Me, too. I love this work and the memory it conjures.

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...