Skip to main content

No Longer the Cool Girl

I arrived home this afternoon to find seven napkins spread across my dining table. On it, scribbled with a Sharpie was a note that could only make me smile from a burning glow within me. It confirmed my thoughts from earlier in the day.

As I drove to work this morning, I realized that nearly all the advice given to women about relationships--at least in this county--is nothing more than a load of BS.

Especially this one...
Be careful what you say to him. You will push him away if you are too needy. He won't want to tell you anything anymore. He will be overwhelmed with your words.

I've taken this advice literally, and I've been known far too many times as the "cool girl".

Hey, I know I haven't talked to you in weeks, please don't be mad.
I know I told you I would ___, and I didn't, please don't be mad.
You don't make any demands of me, you're so cool.
[Insert any random story that leaves me feeling like I've been punched in the gut]

I've held my tongue. I've let them be. I've very creatively managed to bury my feelings and stitch them up so they never see the light of day.

Until now.

I've had three brutally honest discussions in the last few days, including last night when I got 2 hours of sleep and was sitting on the edge of the bed massaging the feet of my darling when my alarm clock rang to let me know that it was time to get moving for the day. I stepped on my porch and in the glow of the moon had my epiphany.

Love changes everything.

I've said before that this man gives me the one thing no one else has ever given me. He has listened to me share my [gasp] feelings about our relationship. He LISTENS! He asks questions to clarify what I'm saying. He explains his view of the situation. He doesn't stop until we both understand each other.

I love you because you're the first woman who understands me.

As he would say to me, "Those are strong words." He does the same for me, but I think it's more that we are willing to understand each other. We take the time to negotiate our behavior to make it more palatable for the other person.

I want you to tell me what's on your mind. I want to know the good and the bad.

And this is where I take issue with the relationship advice. First of all, it's normal to have needs. When a man truly cares about you, he can't see you as needy. In fact, if he thinks you're needy it's because he's not willing to do what it takes to meet those needs.

This relationship has changed me from day one. It's the relationship that made me painfully aware of how often we try to force relationships with people who don't want them or that we don't want just because we're afraid of failing or being alone or not measuring up to a social norm. It's not that it's supposed to be easy necessarily. On the contrary, successful relationships take work. From both parties. It's just that when you WANT to be together, nothing will stop you from making that happen.

I'm truly amazed right now at the depth of love I receive from this man. Nothing else has measured up to this. I assure you that I was never looking for this, and never in a million years did I dream I would find it embodied in this particular person. I think that's the part that amazes me most of all. It still makes no sense, but I am deeply grateful for this moment in my life. For the love that I experience on a daily basis. I have no idea what tomorrow holds, but the present is bliss.

My darling, I need you in my life.

And I need him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th