Skip to main content

On dirty mops...

I just finished viewing a photo slide show via text message. My love spent a weekend with the boys in a remote location, and he excitedly shared with me his photos of the excursion. They are a lovely collection of sunsets, mountain vistas, and colorful houses that look ramshackle by any American definition.

You already know how much I love the way he catalogs his life through photos. One photo, in particular, caught my attention. It's the side of a house and its makeshift work table. There's a mop leaned against the house, a giant washtub on the table, buckets on the ground, and another tool covered by some clothing. This is the kind of shot that self-respecting Americans--especially those in gated communities--would be ashamed to have sitting outside their homes.

Homeowners associations across the country are currently bemoaning the state of a world that allows such a scene to be visible by others. I'm sure a well-meaning retiree is currently writing a cease and desist letter for the owner.

What I love about that photo is what I love about his country...for that matter, just about every country I've visited. In Spain, the streets were lined with balconies sporting the latest laundry. In Peru, dogs openly played with sticks in the street. I've listened to emotional arguments seep through windows in the wee hours of the morning. I've watched lovers of all ages cling to each other in the glow of the sunset and sunrise. I've even shared a park bench with strangers and silently watched the world go by.

This is life, folks.

For me, the contrast is a bit extreme. I feel guilty when I see that my filing system is stacking my documents as neatly as possible on the kitchen counter. I wish I could find a place to store my coffee maker when it's not in use. I cringe at the dirt that piles on my floor daily. I'm embarrassed by the fact that my dish soap rests on the edge of the sink and my toilet paper rarely ever makes in on the wall holder. In the recesses of my mind, I think I'm supposed to have a model house with everything in its place.

I see the same scenario at work in my life. I'm constantly caught between the desire to be known completely and the need to control my image. But life is messy, and when I sit quietly I realize that one of my strengths as a person IS my ability to let people see me as I am--to open up and bear all the neuroticism, frustration, ugliness, kindness, and wonder that is me.

And that is me. I still haven't figured out how to let go of my need for perfection and to be all things to all people. I keep hoping that someone along the way to old age, I will drop these shackles. I'm getting there one day at a time. I don't need to be a model human living in a model home. It's the reality of the day to day that releases us, and the more we share, the more we realize how much we all have in common.

I think the answer to world peace might lie in our ability to accept that we all have dirty mops and toilet plungers and sorts of other "imperfections" sitting around. And it's okay to let the world see them.

Comments

"Caught between the desire to be known completely, and the need to control my image." I can SO identify with that. I think most people spend their lives in that conundrum. Most westerners anyway. Problem is, ya can't really have both. Can't quite maintain an "image" with someone you've peed in front of, for example. However, those who've seen me pee are those I value most... and truly their opinions are the ones that matter to me. I think image has its place, since not everyone could handle knowing me completely. However, there are times that image is utterly unnecessary, and is in fact an intimacy blocker.

Pondering this! Thanks!
frabjouspoet said…
We seem to be thinking about similar aspects of life lately. I love the reference to those we've peed in front of. For me, the great realization is that it's OKAY to pee in front of certain people. I think it's letting go of that image in front of them. There's no need for it!
Christy said…
I think that none of us three are women that most others could handle knowing completely :) And I love you both so much for handling so much of me.
Christy, thanks for being one of my pee people, and A, for the record, I count you as one, though I don't recall an exact incident that's necessitated mutual voiding of fluid. Love you both so very dearly.

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th