Skip to main content

What's That?

It's been a rough week for me. Homecoming. I wish I could just say that word and the Earth would bow its head in reverence of how completely exhausting the days of breathing paint fumes, checking butts for glitter, rehearsing cheesy skits, and creating strategies for winning competitions can be.

This has been a most challenging Homecoming for me. I have a class filled some very smart, talented kids who think they know everything. Yes, I know this is a common trait with teenagers, but this group has cornered the market on this one. Each one knows exactly what is the best idea and unabashedly criticizes all other ideas. Then they openly fight about it. It's like watching a dog fight as the verbal claws come out and they strike each other, waiting until the other parties finally give up out of desperation.

On top of this, my favorite group from last year has turned into one of the most obnoxious groups I have ever seen. (As I type this, I remember that they told me they were going to be this way.) I chastised them last night, and they apologized today. That was a nice respite in the middle of this madness and reminded me again of why I love them. They were all so willing to listen to others' ideas, at least pretended they liked mine, and could find some common ground without emotionally destroying each other.

I don't handle unkindness very well. I tolerate poor sportsmanship even less, but I'm swimming in a sea of it. It's contagious. I'm cranky and bitter and have an overwhelming need to beat the snot out of someone.

Here are some highlights from the week:
*I asked some girls to change shoes during a tug of war competition because they were dress shoes with no grip. Both girls looked me in the eye and argued that the shoes weren't slippery. I made them move their shoes on the floor and showed them how easily they slid. The girls lost the competition because of this.

*The same thing happened during the boys' competition when I pointed out to one that his socks would slide on the floor.

*I talked to my group about the fact that they left their food and candy wrappers all over my classroom and didn't throw away anything. Within two class periods, students from other classes were begging me to review the surveillance cameras to find the culprits who destroyed my room. By the end of the day the story was that a group of seniors broke into my LOCKED classroom inside a LOCKED building (despite the fact that they were personally escorted by their sponsor) and deliberately trashed the room in retaliation for my earlier chastisement.

*One student in particular has openly criticized every idea that every person (including me) has had. This one told me to my face that each of my ideas was bad, wouldn't work, or doesn't make sense. I had to cut a few of the student's ideas and dealt with more arguments and discussions.

There are more, but I will spare you. I've been heckled and fought against and talked over and ignored enough this week. I need to get my soul and my mind out of this scary, ugly place. I'm waiting for a reminder that the world is still beautiful.

Right now, it scares me too much to think that these teens will be soon moving out into the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...