Skip to main content

This level of passion in our lives

Several years ago I subscribed to a list that sent me a daily email reminding me of important historical events in the world of literature. On February 25, 2007, the feature was about the first meeting of poets Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes. I printed out the story of how she bit his lip so hard she drew blood and scribbled a note on the back: "If only we could all have this level of passion in our lives." Then I passed it on to my dear friend, Nadia, who laughed. I just remember wishing I could experience that level of intensity in my life...an uncontrollable urge...an irresistible craving.

How often have I denied the
level of depth so blatantly
obvious in these eyes?
Unfortunately, it's not possible to experience that type of passion when you restrain your emotions with the equivalent of a Victorian-era corset. For some reason completely known to me after years of therapy, I feel the need to present the facade of the cool girl at all times. She's my superhero who never flinches in the face of flying insults, calmly waits for others to figure out how they mistreat her, and who fully believes you should never let them see you sweat.

Basically, my emotional side follows the piss poor playground advice parents give to their children when they deal with bullies. It has its own personal shaming device honed by years of experience and supported by a world that incredibly cannot figure out the difference between drama and normal emotional responses.

That's bliss!
For a girl with heightened sensitivity growing up in a super religious home, that piss poor advice was a burial shroud. It doomed nearly every relationship I've ever attempted. Superficial interaction makes it impossible to bond with others, leaving only financial dependence or social pressure a flimsy adhesive holding you together.

Oh, I've tried talking about my--gasp--feelings. I've screamed. I've thrown objects. I've locked doors. I've stormed out the front door. But in the past, these reactions were intentional...designed to elicit a response or an apology or a proclamation of undying love that never seemed to appear in the ether. All it did was send me into a spiral of self-loathing at the notion of letting myself lose control.

My darling man told me not long ago that he likes the "ups and downs" between us. Truth be told, so do I. It makes me feel alive. It's that intensity...that uncontrollable urge...that irresistible craving that I wanted so long ago. When we fight, we descend into a mad flurry of insults and rage that rivals the most brutal Roman gladiators and morphs into days of silence and apocalyptic isolation.

Then we have moments like last night, so tender and just as powerful...when we are able to expose the real feelings of fear simmering beneath the boil. From the outside, I'm sure we look like a couple of crazy people. There are days when this relationship resembles one better captured in the pages of a high school year book than in the days of our lives. My dear Shana quipped the other day, "Maybe that's just real love." I think it is...at least for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th