Skip to main content

This level of passion in our lives

Several years ago I subscribed to a list that sent me a daily email reminding me of important historical events in the world of literature. On February 25, 2007, the feature was about the first meeting of poets Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes. I printed out the story of how she bit his lip so hard she drew blood and scribbled a note on the back: "If only we could all have this level of passion in our lives." Then I passed it on to my dear friend, Nadia, who laughed. I just remember wishing I could experience that level of intensity in my life...an uncontrollable urge...an irresistible craving.

How often have I denied the
level of depth so blatantly
obvious in these eyes?
Unfortunately, it's not possible to experience that type of passion when you restrain your emotions with the equivalent of a Victorian-era corset. For some reason completely known to me after years of therapy, I feel the need to present the facade of the cool girl at all times. She's my superhero who never flinches in the face of flying insults, calmly waits for others to figure out how they mistreat her, and who fully believes you should never let them see you sweat.

Basically, my emotional side follows the piss poor playground advice parents give to their children when they deal with bullies. It has its own personal shaming device honed by years of experience and supported by a world that incredibly cannot figure out the difference between drama and normal emotional responses.

That's bliss!
For a girl with heightened sensitivity growing up in a super religious home, that piss poor advice was a burial shroud. It doomed nearly every relationship I've ever attempted. Superficial interaction makes it impossible to bond with others, leaving only financial dependence or social pressure a flimsy adhesive holding you together.

Oh, I've tried talking about my--gasp--feelings. I've screamed. I've thrown objects. I've locked doors. I've stormed out the front door. But in the past, these reactions were intentional...designed to elicit a response or an apology or a proclamation of undying love that never seemed to appear in the ether. All it did was send me into a spiral of self-loathing at the notion of letting myself lose control.

My darling man told me not long ago that he likes the "ups and downs" between us. Truth be told, so do I. It makes me feel alive. It's that intensity...that uncontrollable urge...that irresistible craving that I wanted so long ago. When we fight, we descend into a mad flurry of insults and rage that rivals the most brutal Roman gladiators and morphs into days of silence and apocalyptic isolation.

Then we have moments like last night, so tender and just as powerful...when we are able to expose the real feelings of fear simmering beneath the boil. From the outside, I'm sure we look like a couple of crazy people. There are days when this relationship resembles one better captured in the pages of a high school year book than in the days of our lives. My dear Shana quipped the other day, "Maybe that's just real love." I think it is...at least for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...