Skip to main content

Letting Go

It seems the universe is trying to teach me a lesson, and I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to master it...mostly because it's difficult. I earned a Bachelors degree in two years, traveled to South America alone, and have weathered my share of relationship woes and losses, but this is just too much.

I have to let go.

I still remember the serenity of that moment.
Last Sunday I reread the two Melody Beattie books that I have here (back from the therapy days). I entered therapy trying to save my doomed marriage, and my therapist recommended the books as a way to deal my overwhelming obsession with trying to control outcomes that involve other people. Beattie writes about co-dependency, and while I don't think I have issues with that  (mostly because I generally steer clear of addicts), I do see what I have in common.

One of the key principles is moving beyond the obsession with someone else's behavior and channeling it into creating a life for yourself. She asks what you would be doing if you weren't obsessed with the other person, so I thought back to my previous marriage because I wanted to see if it worked for me back then.

I had one major problem in that relationship, and that was my husband's friendship with a co-worker. At first, I thought nothing of it, but as the phone calls and work lunches multiplied, I took a second look at it...and then a third...and before too long, I was analyzing each phone call, searching my husband's car, and questioning him ad nauseum about what I discovered. In a mad fury I even smashed to pieces a gift she gave him and threw out some others (an act that left my friends shocked to learn of my propensity for drama).

Such a tender moment.
He denied any wrong doing and did his best to convince me that I had nothing to worry about. But intuition is a funny thing, and my intuition was off the charts. I knew something was wrong. I told him about my discomfort. I asked him to end the friendship. I tried to accept it and lived my life the best I could. He refused, and we eventually divorced after she told him it wasn't fair to their spouses.

I did everything I could think to do in that situation, and he denied me at every turn. I see now that all my obsession was really pointless because in the end he did what he wanted to do. Honestly, there was nothing...NOTHING...I could have done to change that because I cannot change other people.

I truly believe this truth would make my life so much simpler if I would just accept it. My worry and obsession is about more than my need to control the situation. It's about my need to avoid pain. Yet, I still had to deal with heart-crushing pain when my husband finally told me the entire the truth. I walked through the treacherous waters of divorce. I had to rebuild my life...alone.

Today as I think about all the things that I try to control through obsession, I'm trying to remind myself that nothing will prevent the pain. I can avoid it and prolong the inevitable, but I still have to deal with the pain. And I'll survive it, I know. This makes me want to get a tattoo just so I have a physical reminder that I will survive the pain and find the beauty in the end.
Fun is beautiful.

I found the beauty before...

...in the sunset over the Andes
...in the waters of the Mediterranean
...in the art I created with some deep souls
...in the conversations I've shared with kindreds
...in moonlit swims at the beach
...in my weekend morning runs
...in spontaneous songs along the shoreline

I know it's there. I know that even if the bottom of my world falls out right now, there is still something great ahead.

If I can let go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th