Skip to main content

Another Day Another Promise

One of my co-workers stopped me in the hall this week and said, "You're just glowing. Will you tell me what's going on?" I think she hoped I would tell her I am pregnant, and as much as I wish that is the reason behind my current countenance, I'm fairly confident I'm not. Instead, what she's seeing is the result of some new changes I'm implementing in my life. Anyone who knows me understands that I live with a certain degree of chaos, and while I'm perfectly okay without what most people consider normal, the absolute lack of structure was taking its toll on me.

Ok, so the worst birthday ever was a contributing factor.

So here goes...

1. Work. When I calculated my earnings in preparation for my tax return, I was shocked to see how much money I made as a freelancer. Even worse was the realization that I was stuck in more debt than ever before with all my credit cards completely maxed out. Now, I'm not afraid to hustle when I have to to pay the bills, but I have been a slave to this part time job just to pay the bills I should be able to cover with my more than reasonable salary. I decided that from now on I have to live on my salary and use the freelance money to pay off the debt. Last week, I made just $36, but it paid off half of one outstanding account. That $36 never felt so liberating, and I'm currently on schedule to knock out my three smallest debts this week and the first credit card by the end of next month. I feel like I have a new spring in my step as I pound out words on the keyboard.

2. Chore cards. During a recent visit with family, I was reminded that maintaining my home is part of my obligation, and obligation is an important part of LOYALTY. I decided to break up home chores into daily tasks and wrote out daily schedules on index cards. I don't always complete everything each day, but I've managed to keep up with them to a certain degree. The result is that my house is clean, and doesn't seem as overwhelming. I love waking up to a clean kitchen and not dealing with mounds of dirt on my floor each week.

3. Rest. I realize that I need some time for rest. This includes actually getting to bed at a decent hour and spending some time not working or doing chores or worrying about them. Part of my new plan is to give myself Sundays off. I may do some freelance work or take care of a few household chores, but Sunday is my day to spend with myself, my loved ones, and my God. I'm also forcing myself to go to bed by midnight. Waking in the morning for work has been easier, and I don't feel the strains of exhausted as much.

4. Exercise. I've given up on complex training schedules that I never seemed to complete. Instead, I have committed to three days of running: a long run on Sunday and some tempo training during the week. I even managed to add some weights to this week's schedule. For the first time in 4 years, I was able to put on newly washed jeans without sucking in too much. My runs are also more productive and don't feel as stressed.

So that's it. I have a simple plan that is letting me finish what I start, gives me permission to let go of what I cannot finish, and provides my life with a semblance of sanity. I still have stuff laying around without a home. I still haven't quite mastered the zero based budget. But, today, my neighbor came over to cut the grass on my property, and as I look out over my property, I'm aware of God's work in our lives. All it takes is a single step in the right direction. Then the remaining doors seem to open so we can continue the work we need to do.

Am I glowing? Absolutely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th