Skip to main content

Mosaic

My sweetie and I have a rule about books. I am only allowed to buy books that I will read more than once. (I read very fast and have been known to finish even very large books in less than a day.) Amy Grant’s Mosaic now has a place on my shelf. I’ve read the book twice now. I’ve read some pieces more times than I care to count.

In the meantime, I’ve written…and rewritten…this review just as many times. It’s not that the words didn’t take their rightful place. No, I knew what I wanted to say. I didn’t know how to marry my honest ideas with what I thought the publisher wanted me to say. I even considered using the description they provided for me. Then I read this: “Don’t worry about the consequences of having integrity.” I think Amy herself would agree with this statement.

Mosaic certainly lives up to its title. Amy has woven together a collection of essays, journal entries, songs, poems, and photographs that present us a glimpse of her life. For the avid Amy Grant fan, some of the stories are repeats of interviews and fan club newsletters…with a twist. I remember reading about Johnny Gillepsie during a Behind the Eyes article, but the story Amy shares here is much more revealing about her unforgettable encounter with the stranger. I see more clearly the connection between that afternoon and the song, “Turn This World Around”.

Amy does a beautiful job of sharing her life, from childhood reminisces to the raw emotions of a real woman. Certain passages have haunted me for the last few weeks. I have yet to go a day without a refrain from “What the Angels See” echo in my head. I’m making a more conscious effort to greet my day with grace, even using Amy’s own technique described in “First Thing”. “Moonlight Conversation” has made me more aware of less traditional moments I share with my Creator. I'm still dumbstruck by the thought that I spend so much of my life blind to the greater work going on throughout eternity. At the same time, the lives we lives have been given to us as part of that greater plan.

Great job, Amy! This is a book I wish I had written.

Comments

Christy said…
I'm glad to hear about this book from you. It's going on my Christmas list right now...if I can actually wait that long to get it.
I'm a longtime fan of Amy's - her Unguarded album was the first music I ever owned. I've only seen her in concert once, and never participated in fangirl stuff, but for some odd reason, I've always felt a distant kinship to her. A strange something that tells me we'd be friends - or that we're a lot alike....and I used to dream of being a back-up singer for her :) I own all of her music, thanks to a hubby who likes collections and wanted to complete mine, but I confess I have never listened to much of it. But Behind the Eyes hit me at a time in my life when it was just what I needed to hear. I can't wait to read her book for myself!
frabjouspoet said…
Well, the publisher says I have 3 copies to give away. You may get an early Christmas gift! :)

The best part of this book is that it really is an extension of Amy's music. I, too, have always loved her music because of her perspective. The book is the same way, but she is actually a LOT more spiritual in this book than her music ever was. Not in a preachy way, but a down-home, let's sit on the porch and drink coffee way. Ya know!
frabjouspoet said…
Oh, and Behind the Eyes also hit me at the right time. To this day, BTE and Lead Me On are always on rotation. (And Straight Ahead was the first music I owned.)
Christy said…
Hmmmmm.....early Christmas gifts are awfully nice:) One way or the other, I'm looking forward to hearing more of her spiritual side. But I always have presumed that, like mine, hers runs deep. It doesn't have to be to be obvious. Sitting on the porch with coffee is one of the truest things around.
Anonymous said…
I also reviewed this book. Also I went to two book events and have photos on my website. www.inrebasworld.com

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th