Skip to main content

Amtrak's Number 1 Fan

I think that had my darling husband realized that my innocent visit to South Carolina would lead to my renewed addictions to anime and sci-fi fiction and a severe reduction in his spare time, he might not have been so quick to agree to my little vacation. Then again, he has known me 9 years now, during which he's held my hand and rolled his eyes and tossed me a few verbal barbs about my various obsessions with Robert Downey, Jr., The Matrix, medieval literature, and Mexican culture. And those were just the ones that made the most sense to him.



This trip was an adventure for me because it was the first time I have ever ridden on a train (except for the Metro in D.C., but I don't count that). Let's just say that I am now a walking Amtrak commercial. The ride was comfortable. The crew was a delight. The food was better than a school cafeteria. The price was unbeatable.






I thoroughly enjoyed my time with my family, and I am still processing each moment as they become part of my memory. For now, I suppose what strikes me most is how our families shape us. Despite the fact that I grew up in a town 8 hours away from this side of the family, I see clearly just what pieces of my grandparents are a part of me. Fortunately, it's more than just a prominent nose and round face.



Tucked away in my own quirky sense of humor and dogged determination to my own ideas is the genetic makeup that ties me to other people with the same traits. There's a certain comfort in knowing that someone else out there will laugh for days at a random picture of a dog birthday party or understand the importance of taking photographs with a head stone. I needed that reminder that although I am a unique creation, I am not alone. For that reason, I do love being viewed in the context of family.




All in all, last week was a fabulous experience filled with lots of late night conversations, drives across the Lake Murray Dam, much needed discussions about deceased family members, plenty of laughs, and some of the best food I've ever eaten. Between potato pancakes at a local German restaurant to my uncle's homemade pancakes and enchiladas, I'm surprised I didn't gain 20 pounds.

My latest Twitter update says it all: "I hate saying good-bye."

Comments

Christy said…
Sounds wonderful. I'm a fan of Amtrak too - if they're going where you want to go. Otherwise, you have to go to Washington DC or something and you'll be on the train for like 4 days!
It's so wonderful to grow and age and find new levels of completeness as we take in the parts of us that come from our families.
frabjouspoet said…
I so agree. When I was 15, I shuddered when someone mentioned that I looked like my father or when I laughed at the same joke as my mother. Now, there is such comfort in that sense of belonging.

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th