Skip to main content

My Dance With Fay

Growing up in Florida means having an intimate knowledge of the inner workings of tropical storms and hurricanes. My poor husband has accepted the fact that we will always have a cupboard designated for canned ravioli and potatoes and tuna that we will throw out and restock once a year.



Living near the coast, though, requires more than just some food in the pantry and a few extra candles. We bought a weather radio to keep us company just in case the power went out and we had no more batteries for the portable t.v.

And then we waited for Tropical Storm/Possibly Hurricane Fay.

I stayed awake for most of the night because my heart jumped out of my chest every time the radio siren went off. Learning about a tornado warning in Palm Beach County (across the state from me) at 2 a.m. doesn't exactly make for great sleep. But I did stay out of the tornado's way.
In all seriousness, I was petrified at the thought of a tornado. I asked everyone who called me that night to pray that we wouldn't have any tornadoes. We had a lot of wind and even more rain. And no tornadoes. That's pretty good considering the center of the storm passed by 15 miles from my home.

And now, more than a week after Fay dropped by and left, we're dealing with the flood waters. We're also back on the afternoon thunderstorm schedule, and that's certainly not helping the current situation. Flooded roads. Mutant mosquitoes. Angry washed out fire ants. Who wants to visit?

The farm fields are now beautiful lakes.

So is the road leading back to where I live in the boonies.

(And the photo at the top is our side yard during the storm Tuesday morning. It was a great first day of school!)

Comments

Christy said…
oh my goodness! that's some crazy water.
frabjouspoet said…
Tell me about it. There's actually a section of the road with a really strong current running across it. We've seen fish swim across there.

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...