Skip to main content

Pep Rally?

Everyone keeps asking me how I like working with high school students. The best way to describe it is that last Friday during 8th period, I asked the kids to be quiet. And they did. On the first request. In middle school that request would have been followed by several more requests, each louder than the previous one, and then the threats of phone calls home.

It's night and day, people. And now I tell everyone with a middle schooler that it really does get better.

I had no intentions of being a teacher, and I really don't believe I'll be doing this for the rest of my life. My passions lie in other areas, but I do believe that God placed me in this field for a reason. I spent 4 years working with 7th graders, and even though they were some of the toughest years, they were also healing for me. It was a place I needed to be to connect some dots and gain some perspective to heal some long-standing wounds I incurred during my own 7th grade year.

I firmly believe my high school experience will be the same.

My high school years were so difficult for me that they actually exist in my memory as one dark blind spot. That's really weird for me because I have such a freakish memory. I still remember the layout of my 3rd grade classroom and what I got for Christmas in 1981. I can even tell you what dress I wore for my 1st grade picture (which I only saw one time in a yearbook).

But high school? I tend to rely more on the memories of my friends. They've pieced together some of the gaps for me, but it's still a black hole. I do remember how much I despised the high school culture of pep rallys and dances and parties and football games. I never saw the value in them. I've never missed them.

We're having a pep rally tomorrow for our first football game, and you should see me walking down the hallways. Just this morning I said to someone, "a pep rally and a 3-day weekend...this is the best week ever."

I mean that.

I am so freakin' excited about this pep rally tomorrow. I'll be sitting in the crowd of students with my school colors and pin. I can't wait to cheer and learn the chants. We're the Indians, and they do the same battle cry song every school with this mascot does. I even want to go work the concession stand at the game, but I don't think my dear one will go for that on such short notice. Some other time.

High school isn't so bad after all.

Comments

Christy said…
Very cool.
I wasn't a pep rally girl either. That's probably why I like you so much :)
I think more people should take the time to connect the dots of their youth. I'm glad to hear you embraced the gift that was handed to you.

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...