Skip to main content

3 Dating Myths Busted



Never-a-dull-moment Nadia and I were talking the other day about a conversation she had with a friend. They were talking with a man about problems he was having with his girlfriend, and Nadia's advice was something to the effect that you can't change crazy. Her friend, who has been married for 9 years to a man who adores her, chastised her for the comment and said that love conquers all.

Sigh.

When I was dating, I had a never-ending stream of advice from people. My favorites were those from people who married very early in life and those who were married for decades. I'm not knocking the wisdom of people who have figured out how to maintain a relationship for such a long period of time, but it's really difficult to comment on dating if you've never really dated.

Nadia and I talked about this, and I thought I'd share my favorite dating myths and bust them at the same time.

1. Love conquers all.
This is such a beautiful sentiment that I wish it was true. Unfortunately, it takes more than love--either the emotion or the decision--to make a relationship work. It takes two people willing to face whatever life throws at them to see through the challenges.

We all have our own baggage. It's a side-effect of life, but you can't love someone into a healthy place in life. You set yourself up for danger when you buy in to the idea that you have that much power over people. I poured myself into a marriage that had little chance of success because no matter how much I showed love to that man, it was never enough because he did not reciprocate the love. Sometimes the best thing you can do is let go.

2. You're too picky.
I heard this when I broke up with the alcoholic who liked to call me in the middle of the night to yell at me and call me names...and when I cut ties with the unemployed former drug addict with an estranged son and daddy issues...and when I refused to go out a second time with the prescription drug addict who accused me of farting in the middle of dinner. Seriously, I'm not kidding.

Apparently, married people think that everyone in the world is like their own spouses. In a perfect world, perhaps this is true, but let me tell you that there are a LOT of weirdos in the world. There are also a LOT of people who are carrying some serious baggage. It doesn't make you a bad or unempathetic person if you choose to not go out with them. In fact, it's far more unhealthy to try to make a relationship work with these people.

3. You're not picky enough.
I still remember the moment I returned from an amazing first date with one of the most interesting people I had ever met. I also remember saying, off the cuff, that I thought he was married. Months later, I discovered that not only was he married, but everything he told me about himself (except for the fact that his mother had recently died) was not true. In fact, I learned the truth when I read her obituary.

Dating is stressful, and if you were lucky enough to married your high school sweetheart or found the person of your dreams after one or two bad dates, you have no idea just how stressful it is. Even the best screening systems have holes. People lie, and some of them are very good at it. Some people are dangerous. Some people flake out for no apparent reason. I think it's better to miss out on a potentially good relationship than to get suckered into a bad one.

Please, please think before you offer advice to people who are bravely dating, especially if you have little experience with it. And if you're one of the brave, do what you know is right for your life. You're the only one who has to live with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...