Skip to main content

Cycle of Chaos

I went for my Sunday morning run this morning, and it turned into a walk as I talked with a friend. She let me ramble a bit about my current situation, and I eventually worked my way out of the circle of words and landed on the cycle that I'm stuck in.

I'm treading water right now in a sea of chaos. Let's ignore the pathological side of this for a minute and focus on the aspects of the chaos that are bothering me. Here's the deal:

1. My house is a mess.
2. When my house is a mess, I cannot concentrate.
3. When I cannot concentrate, I am not productive.
4. When I'm not productive, I cannot work.
5. When I cannot work, I cannot pay my bills.
6. When I cannot pay my bills, I worry.
7. When I worry, I waste time.

There's where I'm stuck.

My house is a mess because I live with someone who leaves items on tables, the floors, and counters. I live with someone who does not wash dishes and thinks it's okay to pile them on top of said tables, floors, and counters. Right now I'm looking at 4 empty beer cans, 3 soda cans, more cigarette packages than I can count, and an amount of cigarette ash that makes my stomach churn. It's embarrassing really, and every time I go to clean, I have flashbacks of when I had to clean my parents' apartment when my mom was sick. I've timed this. It takes 45-60 minutes each day to wash the dishes alone.

The problem with productivity is that I am the only person in this house who has not one, but two jobs. This is how the bills get paid. When I have to clean up messes that are not mine, I am taking time away from my second job. That job is how I'm working to clean up the financial mess I created when I consistently gave in to the puerile wants of the aforementioned messy person. Speaking of the financial mess, I'm trying to pay off the more than $100,000 I have accrued in the last few years. I own up to and accept the fact that I created the mess through my inability to say no.

So here I am trying to figure out how to stop the chaos. I made the decision to throw all the money I make from my second job at the debt. It's slow going, but I'm seeing some progress there, and it makes me feel better. I'm also using it to cash flow surprise items that I need. Again, I'm feeling better and like I have some control. So the bills are paid, and I'm back at the house.

How much control do I have over the situation? My options are to leave the mess the way it is and carve out a space for myself where I feel like I have a little peace. Perhaps the living room is a good place because it seems to be where I spend the most time. I think I can handle that. This room is the least cluttered, so it is probably the easiest to maintain.

I feel better now...so back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

El Capitan de Barco (Poem)

I remember the days when poetry used to ooze from my veins. I could think of whatever moment I wanted to capture and turn it into lines of metaphors and alliteration. What happened? I think it has something to do with way too much going on at work and the fact that Spanish seems to be overtaking my brain these days. (Seriously, I'm answering people in Spanish.) My art group met tonight, and I shared what random lines and ideas I had. I felt so vulnerable there, offering my meager contributions to the group. Fortunately, I was in the company of artists who were so accepting and encouraging, and I needed that camaraderie. I think I also needed half a bottle of Australian cab and a few tostones. Although I'm sure this poem is nowhere near finished, and I will tweak it some more between tonight and our meeting at the BEACH tomorrow evening for some sunset filming, I will share here what I have. The first voice is the boat captain (el capitan de barco). The second is a woman. He gav

The Magical 25

Is it just me, or does life seem to seep out in pieces? Even when we seem to be blindsided by news or events, they still often crept up on us in a slow, steady pattern. (The surprise, I think, is usually the result of our own blissful ignorance.) It's a bit surprising to me what can happen when you have way too much spare time and take up a running habit. Perhaps none of you are as surprised as I was this week when it finally dawned on me that I am finally near the end of a fourteen-year weight loss journey. Twenty-five pounds to go. 25 pounds. Fifty-three pounds ago, this moment seemed so far away. I used to resent seeing articles in magazines talking about the last 25 or 10 pounds. I could never seem to get there, no matter how many carbs I cut or hours I spent on the elliptical. This time, without even realizing how my body has been changing and eating a steady diet of convenience food (Boca Burgers are the most amazing product ever created!), the pounds have seemed to almost ru