Skip to main content

The Now and the Not Yet

No longer what we were before, but not all that we will be.

Forgive me for doing the unforgivable--using a quote out of context. That line from a Pam Mark Hall song certainly sums up what's on my mind today, but the message of the song is about more than the mundane issues I'm struggling with today. This struggle is not new, and I've written about it plenty of times in the nine years I've had this blog.

Present day life rarely measures up to the way our past selves imagined it. My thirteen-year-old self wanted to be married before 20 and give birth to my four children before I was 25. We would all live on a farm where I would spend my days doing laundry, playing with my children, cooking meals, and writing poetry and music. (It was a grand plan for using the degree in classical languages or philosophy that I wanted.)

Working as an English teacher with a psychology degree, divorced at 32, remarried at 36, and nearly going bankrupt thanks to immigration issues and life with an unemployed addict never registered on my radar. I also never envisioned myself learning two additional languages (with more in the works), swimming in the Mediterranean, staring in awe at the sweeping stars above the Andes, sleeping in the beds of foreigners, living in another country, or running half-marathons.

In the words of another song I love, That's life.

Today's struggle is the current disconnect between the person I want to be and the person I fear that I am. I know that I'm rather remarkable in that I manage to hold down a full time job that requires an intense amount of my energy during the day and have developed a somewhat successful freelance career despite the fact that my home life resembles the coast of a Caribbean island after the landfall of a Category 4 hurricane.

Yet, I still feel like a colossal failure because I never feel like I'm able to do what I really want to do. I want to cook home made dinners and sit at a table to enjoy them with a nice glass of wine. I want to have my laundry done each week so I don't have to search for *that* one shirt or pair of pants I want to wear. I want a garden outside where I grow my own vegetables and a shady spot in the yard to enjoy the warm Gulf breezes. I want beach Saturdays and a few drunken nights. I want a clean kitchen in the morning. I want my bills paid on time. I want long runs on Sunday mornings where I can commune with God on his own turf. I want a man in my bed who believes in me and loves me and feels like every day I make his life a little better. I want sweaty sex and sloppy kisses and a look that says, "You're always my 'one.'"

Am I asking too much?

I'm trying schedules. I'm trying multi-taking. I'm trying single-tasking. I'm about to try the Eisenhower method of Urgent vs. Important. Something's gotta give here. I need a clean house. I need time to work so I can pay off these ridiculous debts. I need some time for myself. I need some time for carnal moments. I'm not there today, but I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll be one step closer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big