Skip to main content

Mmmm...Mmmm...Mmmm

I LOVE the movie "What About Bob?" It's one of those flicks I can watch over and over without tiring of the jokes. One of my favorite scenes is when the family is having dinner, and Bob just raves over every part of the meal. "Mmmm, this chicken is scrumptious."

You've got to try this. I was driving home from the grocery store today munching on a Reese's Big Cup (love those things!) when I realized that I was just chomping through one of my favorite treats. So I pulled a "Bob." Out loud I said, "Mmmm." Yes, I even rolled my eyes into the back of my head. I was stunned. The candy actually tasted different. It was something I never tasted before. Yes, I was honestly enjoying the bite in my mouth.

The experimenting began. I tried just using the vocals. Yes. I just rolled my eyes back. Yes. What a wonderful thing this is. I ate my dinner tonight this way. Wow! I've never eaten a Cuban sandwich quite like this one. I've mentioned before that I don't like potato chips. I was right. They weren't even worth the eye roll. Grapes? Yes, I never realized they were this flavorful. Dibs? Ahhh, heaven on Earth.

I'm not sure if I'm yet ready to try this trick next time I'm at Taco Bell. (But I know I will eventually.) However, I am going to keep this up. I love the sense of being in the moment and truly experiencing my life. I've been marveling this fact all day today. I finally feel at peace with God and with myself. I can't define it, but I sense the safety net I've been missing for a long time now. More on that later...

***How About An Un-Favorite Thing?***
I don't like chicken. I always feel the need to duck when I admit this because it is rumored to be the most universally accepted meat—or some junk like that. Eh, I can live without it.

I've wondered for a while where my distaste for the common poultry came from, and I think I've finally traced its roots. A few years ago, my family was gathered at Outback for a birthday party. My cousin, Rachel, kept raving about their chicken sandwich, so I decided to give it a try. I'll admit, the thing was awesome. I took half of it home for lunch the next day. All excited, I drove home for lunch, my mouth already watering at the thought of my sandwich. I took it out of the refrigerator, took a bite, and then looked down at it while I was chewing. The chicken was RAW in the middle. I'm not talking undercooked...it was still clucking. (Ooo, just had cold shivers at the thought of another raw meat experience.) Since that day, I've not been a fan.

Comments

Hey girl - I'm glad I found you!! I love What About Bob too :) And BTW, you totally get it - the living in the moment stuff, I mean! That's what it's all about!
So, now I left you a comment too....isn't it nice to know that somebody is reading? Haha!

<3 Christy

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th