Skip to main content

Who Am I?

I vividly remember telling my mother that all I wanted out of life was to be a real person. (I had just finished reading The Velveteen Rabbit, and Skin Horse's words were rolling around in my head.) I honestly set out to be someone reliable and honest and true to herself and her beliefs. What wonderful aspirations I had!

Then reality set in. I wanted to be honest, but I didn't want to hurt feelings or lose a friendship. I wanted to stick to my beliefs, but they waivered in the face of my crumbling home life. I wanted to be reliable, but I often questioned if I was even there for myself. Speaking of myself, how could I be true when I didn't even know who I was?

Last August I started what became long term therapy. In one of my first sessions, we did a little visualization. I was supposed to be on the beach with myself. This was difficult. What did I look like? How would I know it was me? Did I even want to find myself? I desperately wanted to wrap my hand around "my hand" and walk along the beach, perfectly content with my own company, but I was nowhere in sight.

It's a sobering moment to realize that you're hiding from yourself. When asked what I was afraid of, I immediately responded that I was afraid of looking into my soul and finding a wasteland. Emptiness. Darkness. Nothingness.

This weekend, I felt the first real challenge to dig deep and figure out who I am and what I'm all about. I've already started this process. I have pages of lists inside my current journal, but I need to process these further. This seems as good a place as any to start. Perhaps this is the way to lure my soul out of hiding so we can finally take that moonlit walk along the shore.

~My Favorite Things: Christmas Lights~
I LOVE Christmas lights. I can live without the tree, the stockings, the ribbons, and mistletoe...but don't take away my lights. They are so beautiful, shining like tiny stars strung around the room. They are mesmerizing. I can't remember the first time I fell in love with Christmas lights, but it's probably wrapped up somewhere with my memories of Christmas and peaceful evenings spent in the glow of the lights. I can't help but feel at peace with the world around me. They make me contemplative and in awe of the wonders of the world. All that from a string of tiny light.

One of my favorite surprises was after class one night, my husband picked me up and drove me home. The light inside was glowing red. He laughed and said the light burned out and all he could find to replace it was a red bulb. I totally bought the story and walked into my livingroom that had been completely surrounded with multi-colored Christmas lights! I was in heaven! When he went out of town, I'd turn on the lights and feel a little less lonely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...