Skip to main content

Who Am I?

I vividly remember telling my mother that all I wanted out of life was to be a real person. (I had just finished reading The Velveteen Rabbit, and Skin Horse's words were rolling around in my head.) I honestly set out to be someone reliable and honest and true to herself and her beliefs. What wonderful aspirations I had!

Then reality set in. I wanted to be honest, but I didn't want to hurt feelings or lose a friendship. I wanted to stick to my beliefs, but they waivered in the face of my crumbling home life. I wanted to be reliable, but I often questioned if I was even there for myself. Speaking of myself, how could I be true when I didn't even know who I was?

Last August I started what became long term therapy. In one of my first sessions, we did a little visualization. I was supposed to be on the beach with myself. This was difficult. What did I look like? How would I know it was me? Did I even want to find myself? I desperately wanted to wrap my hand around "my hand" and walk along the beach, perfectly content with my own company, but I was nowhere in sight.

It's a sobering moment to realize that you're hiding from yourself. When asked what I was afraid of, I immediately responded that I was afraid of looking into my soul and finding a wasteland. Emptiness. Darkness. Nothingness.

This weekend, I felt the first real challenge to dig deep and figure out who I am and what I'm all about. I've already started this process. I have pages of lists inside my current journal, but I need to process these further. This seems as good a place as any to start. Perhaps this is the way to lure my soul out of hiding so we can finally take that moonlit walk along the shore.

~My Favorite Things: Christmas Lights~
I LOVE Christmas lights. I can live without the tree, the stockings, the ribbons, and mistletoe...but don't take away my lights. They are so beautiful, shining like tiny stars strung around the room. They are mesmerizing. I can't remember the first time I fell in love with Christmas lights, but it's probably wrapped up somewhere with my memories of Christmas and peaceful evenings spent in the glow of the lights. I can't help but feel at peace with the world around me. They make me contemplative and in awe of the wonders of the world. All that from a string of tiny light.

One of my favorite surprises was after class one night, my husband picked me up and drove me home. The light inside was glowing red. He laughed and said the light burned out and all he could find to replace it was a red bulb. I totally bought the story and walked into my livingroom that had been completely surrounded with multi-colored Christmas lights! I was in heaven! When he went out of town, I'd turn on the lights and feel a little less lonely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th