Skip to main content

Clutter Attack

Today has been a delightful day. For weeks now I've been complaining about how cluttered my life feels. It's a long story, and all that is important for now is that the heaviest albatross around my neck has been the clutter around my house. I'm not much of a pack rat. In fact, everything that is important to me fits nicely inside one large and one medium sized tote in my computer room closet. My husband, however, still has the football and basketball he played with in middle school tucked away in the garage.

Armed with a hefty black trash bag, I marched into the computer room and turned on my "work" DVD: Dumb & Dumber. While Harry and Lloyd traveled across the country, I organized the puzzles and board games on the top shelf, set up a filing system for our "important" papers, shredded five year old bills, carried two full trash bags outside, and planned part of my next clutter ambush. My mantra: yes, you can throw away those newborn pictures of other people's children without feeling guilty!

The room is not yet done. I'm actually at the last little bit that always seems to drive me batty. For some reason, once the bulk of the mess is gone and all I have left are those weird little items that don't seem to have a home yet, I get lost. In the middle of the floor are some empty storage bins, my facial steamer, 2 three-ring binders, and another tote filled with items with a date with the shredder.

The good news is that I already feel stronger. I accomplished something. No, I forgot to take pictures, but I will display the afters and promise to show you the next closet before I get started.

Comments

Anonymous said…
[color=#99aadd]Great post! thank you for sharing this information. frabjouspoet.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#99aadd]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...