Skip to main content

Laugh With Me

I'm starting to believe that the greatest sign of mental health is the ability to laugh at one's self. Teaching renders many opportunities to test this theory. I decided today to share with my students some of my own high school writing samples. Students are funny creatures when you share anything remotely personal with them. At first, they glanced upward at me, stifling the growing giggles. One brave soul would chuckle out loud for all of us to hear. By the time I could barely read through my laughter, they joined me. We had a great time, and I ended the exhibition by telling them they could never be afraid again to share their writing in class.

On a personal note, I'm so glad that I was able to save my file folder of teenaged writing. It is a mixed up collection of English writing assignments, poetry scribbled on spiral notebook paper, reflections on life, and even my falling-apart Bible complete with margin notes. What a walk down memory lane. As I read my classmates and friends' hand-written comments on my papers, I wished I was at home so I wouldn't have to hold back the tears welling in my eyes. Each statement brought to life some real memory of them. One day when I have a moment to myself I will sit down with them again and see where the memories take me.

So here are my lessons for today from my old papers:
***Emotions make for lousy persuasive arguments.***
***Not every idea you have is better than everyone else's.***
***A good plan--or at least part of a plan--is better than no plan at all.***
***Never be afraid of showing that you know how to screw up.***

Comments

I am totally into your lessons! And I can speak for the value of pulling out those high school papers now and again. I have always chucked my writing quickly after I re-read it, but I did manage to keep nearly every note passed to me in class and nearly every card ever sent to me. What a treasure! If you do set aside time to read those things, you'll gain new insight into yourself, into how other people perceive you, and you'll be really glad you're a grown-up now!

<3 Christy

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...