Skip to main content

Who Am I?

Women pretty much fall into one of three categories: Dominating Women [...You are weak and untrustworthy. I am strong. Let me lead and things will go fine...], Desolate Women [...Her heart is shut down. She hides behind her prayers and her 'good works of service'...], or Arousing Women [...A strong and self-confident woman, she is also soft and inviting...]. (from "Captivating" by John & Stasi Eldredge)

Who am I? Sometimes I'm not sure. For much of my life I've not been sure. I've covered the full spectrum and still haven't found a safe place to land. I can't help but wonder just where that safe place is. I've received too many mixed messages to figure it out.

I'm intelligent...then someone felt stupid because I used a *big* word or rambled on about the cosmic theory of the Black Death.

I'm beautiful...then someone pointed out the width of my nose and my crooked smile and my round heart-shaped face.

I'm passionate...then someone accused me of being a bitch for having an opposing opinion and being willing to stand up for it.

I'm kind...then someone took advantage of my kindness and it cost me far too much money for emotional bandages and body casts.

I'm creative...then someone got scared because my idea challenged what was established and comfortable.

Someone will undoubtedly point out that each of my examples relies far too heavily on someone else's opinion. That's true, and I wanted to make a point with that. I know who I am. I know the soul God instilled in me. I also believe that He created me *just like this* for a very specific reason. And although other people certainly have an affect on me, the far greater concern is that there's always the chance that someone will find a negative spin on even my best qualities.

I'm still a little confused about just what a strong, self-confident, soft, and inviting woman looks like. Is her hair curled? Does she dress daily in shades of pink? How on earth would we know what she looks like? It's like a really bad "Who's on First" routine.

My experience tells me that when I'm strong, I find myself stuck with too many responsibilities and risk alienating people with both my competence and the effects of the added stress in my life. I've done self-confident and been blasted for my arrogance with too many, "Just who do you think you are walking around with your head held high like you think you're better than me" speeches. Soft and inviting leaves me worn out, spread too thin, and walked on. So I dig deep to find strength to go on and the cycle starts all over again.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it. Is there really a way to win? Can I really be all that God has made me to be and find myself reveling in it? How do you respond to wounded people who lash out, especially when that person is a spouse or family member? How do you resist the overwhelming urge to pull away and hide the *pearls* of your soul from such a brutal world?

Comments

Christy said…
That's the million-dollar question. Wish I knew the answer. But it's also the definition of the artist's soul. The willingness to live through the torture of exposing yourself again and again, regardless of how you have self-defined in this moment.
But that is an excellent book - "Captivating" - one of my favorites.

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th