Skip to main content

Bittersweet...More Than a Chocolate

I just spent the last hour trying to fax two documents to my new school district (yes, I accepted the "heart" position). It wasn't pretty. The fax machine ate the paper like it was in the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, so I had the bright idea of seeing if any of my 17 email accounts has the option of faxing. They don't, and it turns out the fax machine's problem was a paper clip wedged inside. I did, however, find an old email I had saved. This email appeared in my email box December 10, 2000. I still don't know who sent it to me, but it is a rather interesting note.

Dear Allison,
I'm not exactly sure how to begin. You were my biggest competition when
we were in high school. I always thought that you're poetry was very profound
and that you have a very inspiring intellect. I was moved by the way that you
were able to paint a picture with the words that you used. So many poets try
to accomplish that goal,but fall short in the end. You should feel very
blessed because, poetry is not something that everyone can do. To be able to
wrap yourself up in a moment or a feeling and turn it ino a picture that
anyone can relate to is utterly fantastic. As in the words of the late ,
great Wiliam Blake ' tyger oh tyger, what immortal hand or eye could frame
thy fearful symmetry' .
So few people can look beyond what lies before them in this world and
make sweet sense of the whole situation. So from poet to fellow poet I would
like to say thankyou for making this life just a little sweeter; because
within the words there is imagination and that can take us any where, any
place, any time that we want to be. Within the very lines that we write
people will find any fantasy that they dare conjur. And with that profound
thought, I ask you, do you realize the unique power with wich you've been
endowed?

I'm flattered...and just slightly stunned. For the life of me I cannot remember competing with anyone in high school in the writing field. That's even weirder because I have this freakish memory. I can tell you who I sat next to in each class and describe each hallway I walked. I still know the birthdays of all my high school friends and most of their high school phone numbers. I can describe people down to the finest detail, but do not remember ANYONE competing with me as a writer.

Now that I am facing a move, I am really thinking about what we hold on to. Our minds and memories and closets are packed with all sorts of paraphernalia that in the end may or may not really matter. I need this reminder today as I'm trying to keep myself from succumbing to the feelings stirred in me from saying good-bye to my home and co-workers and knowing that someone else is saying good-bye to her home and beloved animals (including euthanizing one of her dogs). My life is bittersweet today, and for the first time in my life, I want to embrace the flavor.

Comments

Christy said…
Hold on to that note for sure!
I think it's interesting to note that those to whom we constantly compare ourselves may not even be aware of the competition.

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...