Skip to main content

Just Another Number



I'm exhausted right now, and I've only been awake for 4 hours. The problem is the 2 hours I stood inside the Social Security Administration building (and I mean stood) felt like an entire day inside a middle school classroom. For one thing, every time an employee called for a number, you would hear a beep followed by the number. Considering the amount of time we were all spending there, you would think people would listen intently in the hope their number would be next. Instead, the conversations grew louder so they could be heard over the interrupting employee. This is not unlike students at the end of the day who miss out on their bus change because they were too busy talking over the announcement.

Another favorite moment today was when the security guard announced that anyone parked behind the building without a permit would be towed. People started throwing questions and complaints at him. "But I parked on the side of the building!" "Is it okay if I parked out front?" I had flashbacks of assigning homework. "Complete questions 1, 3, 4, and 5 for homework." "What about 2? Do we need to do 2?" Don't get me started on the number of minutes we all lost to people who didn't use their wait time wisely enough to complete the paperwork before they reached the counter. (Can anyone say, write your name on your paper as soon as you start the assignment!)

So in the end, I did something really mean today. One guy, dressed in his work attire of button-down cotton shirt and black trousers kept complaining about how he didn't have time to sit there and wait. I don't know how many times the security guard reminded him that he had to wait his turn just like everyone else (including the people who lined up at the door at 6 a.m.). He was really antsy as we finally neared my number, and he canvassed the room to find out how many people with a number before his were actually there. I happened to have 2 tickets, 2 numbers apart. I gave the second one away from someone who I knew was before him.

And it felt good. I know it was mean, but I just really cannot stand people who think they should be above the system. The woman I gave it to was there just as long as I was, but she didn't complain one peep.

In the end, I will say that I do not begrudge the federal employees when they take their union mandated twenty minute break even when there's a line out front that makes the fire inspector chew his nails. After all, they spend all day dealing with people like me who are irresponsible enough to lose their social security card and then complain about the wait to get a free replacement.

Comments

Christy said…
What a nightmare! I would have done the same thing with my ticket, by the way. I probably would have done it in plain view, waiting for the moment when he was most likely to see me handing it over....
frabjouspoet said…
I almost did that, but it seemed a little too cruel. He was nearby, though.

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th