Skip to main content

Because I Want to Feel Like I Get SOMETHING for the Taxes I Pay

I am so completely in love with the public library right now. Just the thought of the place makes me blush. It is the most perfect concept ever created. Right after techno music and 400-thread count sheets.

I've known for a while now that the library carries DVDs and CDs in addition to ALL THOSE BOOKS about ancient wars and alcoholic writers. I just didn't realize exactly what they had until I was frantically searching for Charlie Chaplin's "The Gold Rush" to show to my students.

Today I picked up a movie they had on hold for me. (See how great this is, I can request a specific title that they have anywhere in the county. They have it waiting for me at the location I choose!) I also came home with the entire second season of "Family Ties".

I sat down to watch some it a little while ago. Other than Big Bang Theory and The Office, I can't think of the last show that made me giggle quite like this one. The whole experience was such a delight. I so needed to laugh tonight, and this did the trick. Now I just need to hold out until this weekend when I can have a "Family Ties" marathon. I know, party at my house!

In other news, I finally updated my photo blog. I should keep up with it now that I have internet access at home and have figured out the subtle art of uploading photographs on dial-up. Of course, I also have the fabulous free wi-fi at the public library. It might be a nice change of pace to use it for something other than catching up on myspace.

Comments

Christy said…
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that laughs at Big Bang Theory. Sometimes, I don't trust my own taste and wonder if I am watching and loving something that is, like, so not cool.
frabjouspoet said…
OMG! That show is one of my absolute favorites. I curse CBS when they replaced it with The Bill Engvall Show this week. Is there anything funnier than watching Sheldon try to communicate with "normal" people?
Christy said…
Totally! That's the best part. He's so much like somebody I would have been friends with! I think it's funnier if you actually know people that are like those guys....

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...