Skip to main content

Make Sure You Use Your Ring Finger When You Dab That Wrinkle Cream Under My Eyes

It's been an exciting Saturday here in southwest Florida that started at 7:00 a.m. with me in the kitchen baking hashbrown casserole and baked ziti. Yep, the woman who has been known to bring a can of black olives for lunch because she had nothing left in the house that didn't have to be cooked turned on the oven this morning. I chopped and poured and shredded while wearing my pajamas and sipping my coffee.

You don't understand how rare this moment of domestication was for me. I've quickly evolved into a single woman who eats microwaveable food and washes the dishes only when she runs out of coffee cups. (Sadly, I've actually re-used a coffee cup or two just to stretch the dishwashing schedule.) Nonetheless, I had a baby shower brunch to attend and needed a freeze-able casserole to leave behind for the family.

If the fact that I actually cooked this morning wasn't odd enough, let me point out that I mentioned a BABY SHOWER on a Saturday before I had any wine to drink. I'm not a fan of showers that don't involve gray skies and high humidity. Does anyone really like wrapping a woman in toilet paper or microwaving chocolate bars in diapers? I think I'd rather cook myself a five course meal and wash the dirty dishes immediately after eating. Fortunately, the only game that we planned to play was chocolate Trivial Pursuit, and I heard that someone promised to bring sticky buns.

Sticky buns? On a non-running day? I know, that's ludicrous, right?

So the woman who lost her will to cook in the divorce and would happily spit in the face of the person who invented shower games actually went to a baby shower. We sat around the coffee table and ate and listened to music and talked about serious, life-altering topics like washing machines. Yep, washing machines. Front vs. top loaders. High efficiency detergent. The woes of being single and never having enough whites to actually make a full load. My head was spinning with all the possibilities!

Then we tackled floor cleaning appliances, and by the time we reached an intense debate over how to find the perfect broom, someone looked at me and mouthed, "really?" I was all like, "Dude, I use plastic utensils at home so I don't have to wash dishes until the coffee cups run out. This discussion is way out of my league." Then I turned on the never-ending Pearl Jam playlist in my head and belted out a few lines from "Once".

The sad part was the realization that we have all finally reached the point in life that an afternoon of appliance talk could actually be engaging. Then we all made sure to call our friend who couldn't attend the shower and fill her in on the wonders of The Shark tile cleaner.

What's next? Gray hair and crows' feet?

Comments

Christy said…
(shiver) Blech. I don't like 'em too ;)
Kudos on the casserole, though.

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...