Skip to main content

Wasting Time

I went shopping yesterday for some household items. I left my house at 1:00 with my list for laundry detergent, eyeshadow, toenail clippers, Diet Pepsi, water, and eye makeup remover. I'm really not much of a shopper. I like to get in and get out with what I need. I tend to cringe when someone wants to go "window" shopping. Please, I don't need to be there unless I'm walking out with a bag.

Anyway, I wandered around Ulta for over an hour, looking at all the hair color and nailpolish, trying to figure out just what the difference is between styling spray, finishing spray, and workable spray, and pondering the age-old question: is ammonium laureth sulfate better for your hair than sodium laureth sulfate.

I left the shoe store empty-handed, which is a shame since I'm in desperate need of new sneakers. The old ones are covered in poison-plant oil. So I ventured into Ross where I proudly walked out with a CD of Mexican music for a friend, and a how-to DVD on Salsa dancing. It will go nicely with the DVDs for belly dancing and lap dancing that are collecting dust in the DVD holder.

By the time I left Target with the essential purchases of the day (laundry detergent and toilet paper), I was stunned to see that it was almost 4:30. I wondered where the day went. That's when I realized why I don't like shopping. It seems like such a waste of time. So I began to wonder if this is why women prefer to shop with a friend--the time isn't as wasted because then it's a social gathering. Hmm, maybe this is even why we go to the restroom in herds. We like to make the most of every opportunity. (Haven't you had some fascinating conversations in the restroom?)

I was pondering this as I went in to get something to eat. My mind was racing so much I had to fight to get it to choose something to eat. The manager was behind the register throwing out ideas at me. It took a few seconds for me to even make the connection. As I decided on a turkey sandwich he asked me if I was taking resumes for my husband's replacement. I was caught off-guard, so I laughed. He smiled back and told me to tell him I'm looking for a replacement.

You must keep in mind that I literally walked out the door with my hair in the same ponytail I slept in and my green and black party-makeup still intact. I had the decency to slip on some yoga pants and flip flops that did not match my sweatshirt. I was not flirting, nor did I look like I was out on the prowl. If anything, I would have been laughing at myself if I saw me bouncing through the restaurant.

So for some reason...maybe he felt sorry for me, was amused by me, thought I was a mental patient, or was a little embarrassed by what he said, the guy gave me a discount on my meal. Hey, I'll take it.

So there's nothing in this post that will change the world or make nations crumble. It's just a slice of life for me. I'm pleased with the knowledge that I can go out in public looking like a fool and not be bothered by it. I'm still smiling at one of the funniest lines I've heard in a while. I'm grateful for the stranger who lowered my lunch bill. And yes, it was a good sandwich. And no, I haven't tried the DVD yet...I had 2 fantasy football teams to set up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th