Skip to main content

Busy Days Ahead

It's been a busy week for me. I left my house at 4:30 Monday morning for my drive down south and pulled back in my driveway at 1:20 this morning. The days have been long, too, between working at the new school from 7:30 until 3:00 or 4:00 and then working at the new place until 9:00 or 10:00 each night. I now have callouses on my fingers and not one intact finger nail. I think I've also developed a new twitch somewhere on my face.

One afternoon this week, I stood in the middle of our new living room and took in the sight of missing drywall, a growing hole in the floor and soaked up my husband's predictions that we still won't be ready to paint by the weekend. All I wanted to do was cry. All I felt was nothingness. Numbness. Anyone who has ever reached the point of numbness knows that it's scarier than feeling like you're falling apart. It's one step beyond feeling like you're falling apart.

I couldn't help but wonder just what we had gotten ourselves into. This is what we're supposed to be doing. I know that. So why is this so difficult? When will I finally be able to sleep in my own bed? Or cook dinner? All I could see was the work ahead of us--the peeling and tearing down and throwing away and putting together and painting. It swirled in my head with the thoughts of the first week of school and the drain of ushering students to class and getting the classroom set up and figuring out the closest bathroom and copying policies.

That's when the heavens opened and all I knew was, "one step at a time." This is a difficult concept for me. After all, I have a track record for pushing myself along in critical moments. I'm always three steps ahead of myself worried about how I'm going to get there. It's so silly! Why worry about the painting when you still need to get new drywall up? This is true for all of us. We have just enough light for what is in front of us, and we have to make our decisions based on the information available to us at that time.

And we go from there.

Just for fun: (1) My new school has chickens and roosters running around on campus (I think they live at one of the nearby houses.) (2) I now have access to the most amazing Mexican restaurants and freshest produce within walking distance from work. (3) There's no stranger experience than shopping for alternative health books while listening to the older, foreign, female clerk watching porn behind the register.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You can only go day by day...sometimes numbness is God's way of helping us cope. I know it sounds odds but that is how I feel...MUAH and Hugs. I think you may be need.
frabjouspoet said…
You're right. I know numbness too well, and it is definitely my coping mechanism. The challenge is sorting through all the junk once you starting feeling again. Thanks for the hugs; I need them. So do you!
Christy said…
Oh, honey. (Those are the only words in my mind).
And I'm really excited about your chickens.
OK, I am envious of the produce. And the mexican food!

As for the sense of crushing overwhelmed-ness... I can feel your pain on that one. And at the risk of being weird, I offer the best solution my creative mind has ever stumbled across for getting through such tasks as moving, cleaning, and getting my brood where they need to be when they need to be there. It's www.flylady.net . Click on the "join flylady" place and get the emails. I rely on them to tell me what to do so that I can show up with my wits about me, and my creative side doesn't have to worry about remembering to wash clothes. All in an encouraging package with constant reassurrances such as "you are not behind" and "you can do this" and stuff.

It's been my saving grace many a time!
frabjouspoet said…
You know, I subscribed to Flylady a few years ago and have been thinking of starting up again. I think I need some structure in my life.

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...