Skip to main content

Dean Carl Kirby, 1926-2003

Four years ago today I received a phone call from my cousin, Rachel, who sobbed into the phone, "Grandpa's dead." He had been sick for a few years, and we knew this day was inevitable, but it still sent shock waves through my soul. I'd love to tell the story of his funeral, and perhaps I will sometime this week, but for now I just want to share some of my memories of this remarkable man.

He was a big man with a gruff voice that scared me when I was younger. I never wanted to make him angry for fear of what he would sound like. And yet, I can also still see him standing next to me in church singing worship songs in that baritone. I can also still hear his voice blessing Sunday and holiday dinners.

The year before he died, we stayed up until the wee hours of the morning on the front porch swing. He told me war stories about Navy ships and German torpedoes and how isolated and frightening the South Pacific is in the middle of the night. I also remember wondering that night just when he would stop talking so we could go to bed, and I'm so glad tonight that I just kept listening. It turns out that was one of the few times he ever talked about his time in the Navy.

I once sat across from him at the kitchen table eating cereal. Always aware of my manners, I wasn't sure if I could drink the remaining milk from my bowl like I would at home. After trying to scoop out the milk with my spoon, he told me, "Just drink it from the bowl" and proceeded to do so himself. He would later offer other useful tips like, "A house is just a place to hang your hat and store your crap."

We watched a lot of football together and cheered for both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Florida Gators. I still have his Bucs jacket hanging in the closet, and I will wear it even though it is 3 or 4 sizes too big for me. He took me out on his boat more times than I can remember, and that deal worked out well for both of us. He could fish and I could pretend to fish while getting myself mentally lost in the nature around us. He once took me to see Lake Kissimmee in the boat after my endless pleading, and when I asked him to take me down the Kissimmee River to see Lake Okeechobee, his response was a Dean classic: "Have you been to the beach? Well, it's a big lake that looks like the ocean. You've already seen that."

It's hard for me to describe how just his presence made me feel safe. No matter what kind of turmoil was swirling in my life, I could just sit in a recliner next to him or lean up against his shoulder and all seemed right in the world. Even as his health declined, I still felt more at ease just being in the same room with him watching Wheel of Fortune or working the newspaper crossword.

For 26 years of my life, this man was a constant. He never varied in his convictions. He loved his family and his Lord dearly. At his memorial service, I remember saying something about how his ideals should live on in his grandchildren and that if I could live even a fraction of the truth he lived, my life would be a success. He left behind some big shoes to fill, and right now I miss him very much.

Comments

Christy said…
I'm so glad to know about your grandpa. I enjoyed reading your stories - especially slurping your milk out of the bowl!
Grandpas are special! I have some hilarious memories of mine, and my favorite right now is the memories my own kids are making with their Papa!

Popular posts from this blog

Tough As Nails

I found "The Chub" last night. This is a small, thick spiral notebook that I had carried around with me for several weeks last winter and spring. Its sole purpose was to be an immediate reservoir for any brilliant ideas I had during the day. The only thing I ever wrote in there (besides grocery lists and bill schedules) was during my family's reunion-birthday-anniversary cruise last January. My words were interesting, and I clearly remembered writing them on the little boat that took my aunt, sister, and cousin to go snorkeling in the Bahamas. The funny part was that I wrote about how the breeze was making the weariness "seep from my bones". I read it yesterday while I was home from work. That is, after I was sent home for nearly fainting during a class. Apparently, the look of my skin was so bad that my students thought I was pulling a Halloween prank. While driving myself home, I was thinking about the recent events that led me to the afternoon and how embarra

The Transformation Begins

Do you ever feel like your life is a movie? I hope so because I certainly do, complete with an occasional out-of-body experience and a soundtrack. Right now, I hear Journey in the background and see myself out running each morning, conquering the evil vacuum cleaner, and throwing away my old flannel shirt. The last few days were interesting. My husband and I had few good fights...and lots of laughs. I can't help but think they were related. I know they are. The fights were about establishing boundaries. We finished our budget for June and updated our to do list. At the end of the day, he was completed something he had to have done, and I was working on final edits for my book. I'm really proud of us. We looked at our situation together, set some goals, and we reached them. I'm really proud of him, too. He's the kind of man who doesn't stop until he's completed what he had in mind. I love that tenacity. I guess that's what makes us a good match. I see the big

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th