Skip to main content

Bumdom Day 3

Waking up today, I discovered a rare event...I actually tried to force myself to sleep in! But I had a busy day planned, so I forced myself to peel away the layers of covers. I'm so glad I did...perhaps you are, too.

I watched "The Plague" on The History Channel while I colored my hair. That was fascinating, believe it or not. Yes, I know I'm such a history geek. Then I tried on each of my new t-shirts before choosing my typical black shirt.

I drove to Lakeland, drinking horchata on the way. It was worth the drive so I could see this little one...


Rachel and I talked and laughed and I changed a diaper. Makaylah likes to sleep when I'm around (hmm...maybe I could hire myself out for somnambulists). So I held her and rocked her and watched her sleep. And Rachel and I talked. We seem to do that well.



The time was too short, and I had to go visit with some dear old friends. We had a delightful time, swapping a few stories about our loved ones and getting caught up to date on recent events. They were my date tonight for the unveiling of the newest issue of Cantelievers.

I gasped in shock when my name was called. I thought I had only been eligible for one award, and I was sitting there attempting to convince myself that I am still a decent writer when I heard my name. Now I have a plaque with my name on it and a gift card to Barnes & Noble. (Hooray!)

Then the guest poet read some of his poetry. It was interesting how he mixed in words borrowed from other languages and how raw and real his subjects are.



On the way out we stopped at the art gallery so I could see a piece comprised of cracked twirling glass. We pressed our heads against the door. I must admit they were cool to look at. I snapped a picture that no one believed would come out.




Back at their house, we sat and talked more...of foreign adventures.
And current events. And culture. And family. It was a lovely random conversation, and I hated leaving. I realized how much I miss them.

They walked me out to my car and stood in their front yard, both waving at me as I drove away. What a bittersweet feeling in that moment...to see how I am loved by them and saying good-bye.

So today was a long day, but filled with so much life. It was a frabjous day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...