Skip to main content

Overwhelming Ideas

I'm diligently (at least for me) working on my current short story about the messiness of life. My muse for this story is a Rich Mullins tribute album, and so far, the story is taking the form of three songs from that album. Jacob and 2 Women, Calling Out Your Name, and If I Stand. (Perhaps I'll divulge their inspiration later.)

These songs are stuck in my head, and as I've been singing them today, pieces of the story appear alongside them. I pulled out my old trusty CD player and CD (the iPod seemed inappropriate for this task), thinking that listening to them would be a stronger experience. Sure enough. It's so exciting to see the ideas finally piecing themselves together.

As I listened to "Calling Out Your Name," I just burst into tears at the line, How the Lord takes by its corners this old world and shakes us forward and shakes us free to run wild with the hope. In that moment, just as sure as I was sitting in my livingroom, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of hope...hope in the middle of pain...hope in the middle of the messiness...hope in the middle of the loss. It's there. And there was even a twinge of love thrown in, a spark that's been missing from my soul for a while now.

I'm grateful and humbled to have had that opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Restless Soul

Someone recently told me that I have an impulsive streak. ("Just an observation, not a criticism.") My initial reaction was to vehemently deny that statement despite the fact that I had just confessed to walking into Total Wine and buying $200 worth of wine just because it seemed like a good idea at 11:00 on a Thursday morning. Me? Impulsive? Don't answer that, especially if you know the truth. I shared this with my therapist yesterday and his eyes lit up when I said, "I think I have a restless soul." The fact that his eyes lit up is significant since we spend most of my sessions arguing with each other about ideas like whether or not a book he recommended is filled with psychobabble bullsh*t or why I should do a bit more thinking with my heart instead of my head. For once, he agreed with me and quickly pointed out that this is not necessarily a bad trait. In fact, it's what stirs my needs to explore and to write. It's also the reason why I don't, by...

Gators and Bees and Snakes...Oh My!

Let me preface this by pointing out that we have a deaf, epileptic Great Dane, a one-eyed cat, and a slew of young cats outside that we just haven't been able to part with. Love for animals abounds here. It seems we have a critter fest going on around here lately. In mid-September there was the Great Goose Massacre courtesy of a visiting alligator. Two weeks ago we had the Invasion of the Bees that left nearly 100 dead bees in its wake. Last week was the Demise of the Rattler. Alan heard a strange sound when he walked out on the porch last Sunday. He thought at first that it was a large dragonfly caught in the screen. It turns out that it was a rattle snake, coiled up and ready to strike. He says that he will never get the rattling sound out of his head, but I think he was a bit more freaked out at the thought of watching one of the kittens get struck by the snake. (Bonsai was apparently completely willing to risk his life to investigate the snake.) His first words to me when he pi...

Frustrated Readers Make Great Fans

I haven’t felt this betrayed by a story line since Neo learned that not only was he not the first person to challenge the Matrix, but he was part of the plan all along. Even though I was sorely disappointed in what appeared to be a cop-out story line, I can understand the logic in that disappointing plot twist. I can’t say the same for Stephenie Meyer’s conclusion to her wildly popular “Twilight” series. Look, I’ve read each of the first three books at least twice, and my grad school entrance paper was a character analysis of Edward Cullen. I loved these books. I read “New Moon” and “Eclipse” in a single day. I’ve been discussing the plot lines and characters with my students for the last two years. It was a long wait for this final book. And a huge part of me wishes I was still waiting. It was that much of a letdown. I’m still debating just how to tiptoe through my inevitable conversations with students about this part of the “Twilight” saga. My students were embarrassed enough by th...